The address of the President of Ukraine Victor Yushchenko at the State reception dedicated to his assuming the office of the President of Ukraine
The address of the President of Ukraine Victor Yushchenko at the State reception dedicated to his assuming the office of the President of Ukraine (Mariinskiy Palace, 23 January 2005)
Esteemed Heads and the Representatives of Foreign States and Institutions.
Let me greet you in the capacity of newly elected President of Ukraine on behalf of the people of Ukraine.
Democratic revolution in Ukraine in 2004 became a victorious one due to the insurmountable power of people united by the ideals of freedom, democracy, human rights and sovereignty of the nation. These days when our people are celebrating the victory and the historical event of the Unification of Western and Eastern lands of Ukraine, we are proud to state:
- A new Ukrainian nation and state were born at the beginning of the XXI century. We begin a new epoch in Ukrainian and European history of the third millennium. This is the epoch of solidarism, cooperation and unity in a common European house.
- Ukrainian people have done away with totalitarian past, made its choice for democracy, human rights and freedoms.
- New Ukraine has put an end to the policy of its dependency.
- Our nation takes its future and the future of the country in its hands.
- Ukraine has been and will remain the big and united family of brother nations.
- The new state and the authorities will ensure a real sovereignty of the people and a citizen, justice and wellbeing for everybody.
- We will build up a new solidary nation in Ukraine that will become an integral part of a big European family.
- We will be building up the society of the future – a society of spirituality, knowledge, culture and prosperity, socially oriented country and economy, based on people's entrepreneurship, democracy in economy and competition.
- National strategy of Ukraine will be based on the principles of efficient protection of the national interests, improvement in our sovereign independence and in international competitiveness of Ukraine.
On behalf of the people of Ukraine let me thank you and your peoples for the powerful support that we enjoyed in our struggle for democracy, justice and progress. We stand ready to make our contribution in the global cooperation.